Speed Machine

Well. It’s May 1st. I had my last class of the semester today–my last class for at least 8 months.

The ASMSU end-of-the-year banquet was tonight. As far as banquets go, I’d say it was a success: it was nice to get a chance to recognize those who have served the students over the last year.

As for me, I’m in the process of transitioning control of the Procrastinator Theater to Dave Keto, who was appointed as next year’s Procrastinator directory. There’s lots to be done, and we’ll be transitioning throughout the summer… In any case, I can rest very easy, knowing that Dave will take great care of the theater next year. And for me … well, I’m ready to be done with the theater. I enjoyed my time, and I’m ready for something else.

On Tuesday, I was offered a corps member position with the Montana Conservation Corps–which I accepted eagerly. The impact for me: I’ll be spending the next six months of my life working 10-day spikes in the back country of the Greater Yellowstone Region (including Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, and Montana’s Beartooth Mountains). I’ll be doing a number of maintenance projects, including trail maintenance, erosion prevention, etc. I start May 19th, and will finish October 31st.

And I’m stoked. Six month’s in the back country? Sounds like just what I need as I continue to work on figuring out what’s next in my life.

Right now, it’s a typical Thursday night at the H.Q. … Ben’s playing DOTA on the community computer, Andrew’s sleeping, and Bovard is working on some upper-division math homework that I couldn’t begin to understand.

Last night, Andrew was sleeping on the couch, as he often does. It’s always the same scenario: he brings up his blanket the couch, and then announces that he’s going to do some reading. After about 20 minutes, he starts to drift to sleep (poor guy … he sleeps like 4 hours a night, on average). He sets his alarm for 20 minutes later (“I’m just going to take a nap,” he explains. For the next three hours, he wakes up every 20 minutes–not when his alarm clock goes off, but when the people in the room with him get annoyed by his alarm clock going off and yell at him. “Andrew. ANDREW. ANDREW!” … “Whoa … uh … Hey! Oh! My alarm…”

After one of these naps last night his alarm went off. He didn’t wake up. After a while, Christina piped up: “Andrew. Andrew! ANDREW!” He woke up, and mumbled something. He picked up his alarm clock (a “Screaming Meanie”), looked at up, and then–without turning it off–set it back down and rolled over and went back to sleep. Alarm clock … still going off.

Ah. Andrew. It’s going to be rather sad not having him around next year. Heck, it’s going to be rather sad not living at the H.Q. next year–Bovard and Andrew have both decided they need their own room. Andrew announced that he’s moving out. Bovard and I are currently looking for a new home.

And, goodness, I’m not looking forward to moving. I have so much STUFF. It’s out of control. I’m going to need like 5 moving trucks. Ug. Anyone want to help? All I need to move is … hundreds of books (boxes and boxes), shelving, a piano, a dryer, a dishwasher, a big beer-pong table, a motorcycle, a garage full of tools, lots of wood from my incomplete loft project, a grill, a lawnmower, a desk, a coffee table, a desktop computer, a couple printers, a couch, dishes, a picnic table, and all of my personal effects …

Anyhow. Happy end of the semester, everyone! I think there will be festivities at the H.Q. at the end of finals week. Check back for details!

About Mark Egge

Two truths and a lie: Mark Egge is an outdoor enthusiast, opera singer, and a transportation data scientist. He lives in Bozeman, Montana.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.